Blog Archive

Thursday, 2 October 2014

Week 2- Wireframes & Sitemaps

This week we looked at two important components for site design. I was familiar with these processes before but didn't realise how complex they can be and I struggled to understand sitemaps at first. Then a I learned that a sitemaps are really laid out almost like pathfiles in a file explorer. Every page is linked to a chain of other pages like a file in a folder.
The wireframe was easy to understand because it is more of a visual concept than sitemapping. The app Balsamiq was recommended but I also found an app on my tablet called mockups.me which was very nice an fluid and used a similar engine to Balsamiq. Here is an example of the wireframe I made:


It was interesting using my fingers to make the boxes etc. it was also very quick to do to in comparison to drawing. I imagine though that it would be harder to communicate my ideas effectively with this app compared to simply drawing. 

It was interesting taking a website apart in reverse. It allowed me to really understand how a site is built. Which is an important part of web design. You can focus on how it looks but it won't turn out as good if you don't understand how it's actually constructed. This lesson taught me that and the process of reaching such a goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment