Blog Archive

Monday, 22 September 2014

Week 1- Site Comparison

Our first task was to choose a good and bad site and then discuss the best and worse sites form a group of fellow students. We were given a set of questions to determine good and bad websites, the questions are as follows:

Why is your design in this category?
Who is it for?
When was it made?
Why is it like that?
Who are its competitors?

We found some really awful websites (some I had to look away from, seriously) and we also found awesome sites too. Here are the ones I chose:

The good site:

link: www.wacom.com


Why is your design is in this category?

Because it just stood stood out to me when I was looking for a good website. I think it's the vivid colours and how they compliment the Wacom logo; the colours change as you scroll down.

Who is it for?

It is clear that this website is aiming for the young creative people with the colours, fun typography and images. It is very interactive too with bouncy, fluid animation which makes for a smooth, fun experience.

When was it made?

The only indication as to when this site was made is the copyright at the bottom; 2013-2014. It is safe to assume that this is a very contemporary design which clearly hints to it being a recently made website. The designs used are similar to those you would come across on a mobile app because of the fluid animation and side bar. Such websites have only just started showing up to cater for the influx of mobile devices.

Why is it like that?

As I touched upon in the previous question, this website seems to be designed with mobile devices and it's challenging audience in mind. Because the audience in question is very receptive in trends and high levels of design. Creating a poorly designed or boring website would reflect negatively on Wacom's products because people are going to naturally believe the products are as poorly designed as the website.

Who are it's competitors?

This question was one of the more difficult ones because Wacom has such a stranglehold on the graphics tablet market. I eventually came across Yiynova who also produce graphic tablets. Needless to say I went to their website:

link: www.yiynova.eu


The first thing I noticed (as always) about this website is the colour...if you can call it that...I thought the colour was so boring in comparison. The images used were pixelated and stretched, the typography in the images were even worse; they looked like they were done in Microsoft Word with a completely misplaced glowing purple and distorted black type.

The Bad Site:

Link (if you dare): http://www.lingscars.com/











Why is your design is in this category?

I put this design here because it breaks so many design rules it is hard to keep count. There is too much going on, too many colours and types and cheesy animations. I think the worst part is the music because there is no easy way of stopping it and it is very annoying music. I had trouble listening whilst analysing the site.

Who is it for?

The main title/logo of the site says it is a website for car hiring in the UK, but it looks more like it is trying to appeal to an Asian audience, with the images used and the name of the company. However I think it is solely due to the fact the owner is Asian. The website is for anyone who wants to hire a car but because of how crazy the website is designed, I don't think it would be easy to trust the safety of the car service.

When was it made?

Once again it is hard for me to find when this website was made but because the design looks very outdated I assume it was made in the 90s and has been the same since.

Why is it like that?

It is clear to me that this website is trying to bring humour into the whole car hiring process. Humour can be a very positive tool in marketing and it might work for a lot of people. The humour here of course is the irony how terribly bad the site design is yet it seems to be successful.

Who are Its competitors?

Any other car hire company. I think the best thing ling's company has more than others is the crazy theme that will stick in consumers minds. I assume all other car hiring services on the web are much more serious and rightly so since hiring a car is a serious process.

Conclusion

After talking about bad and good site all day, I now think I have gained more experience in how to make a good website and how not to make a good one. The question template I used is very useful and I know that I'll be using it all the time whilst designing the website for this module.

No comments:

Post a Comment