Blog Archive

Monday, 27 October 2014

Research: CV Website

The task for week 6 was given to us. We are required to design a sort of online portfolio site to promote our work. Step one is to research similar sites to get an idea of how to design it.

Site 1:



I like this site because it is simplistic yet effective. The homepage offers three main links which is all that is needed. The background is animated too which balances the minimal design to make it more lively.


Clicking on the Projects link sends you to a portfolio of work laid out in a tile design. This is a popular design in recent times. Hovering over a piece of works will show more context with an animated text box. This is a very slick and straight to the point site. Not too much is going on either which really adds tot he clarity.

Site 2:



Another minimal design. I love the background on this site. The icons are clear and follows a similar structure to the previous researched site. No background animation on this one but I don't think it is needed. 


When you click on work, the screen slides up and transition into the portfolio section. The tile design is presents here to but it is more subtle. The global website navbar is present and discrete.

Site 3:



The first thing that drew me to this site was the background. The imagery of a website is very important because it usually the first thing people see. The saying a picture says a thousand words is very true in web design. One good image can prove the proficiency of a designer, which is highly important when trying to sell yourself to users. 


Scrolling down will reveal more content and animation. The navbar is reduced to an options menu in the top right. This is another popular design I have seen a lot of. This also suggests the site has a responsive design for other devices too. I really like sites that make good use of the scroll wheel. It means less clicking and allows for more info on a single page. 

Now that I have researched some sites, I feel like I'm ready to have a go at making my CV site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment